SPRING 2017 AT THE V&A MUSEUM OF CHILDHOOD
Au Revoir Les Enfants (Malle, 1987)
Follow the friendship of two 12 year-old boys in a boarding school in France during World War II in Malle’s semi-autobiographical masterpiece about childhood, friendship and betrayal. A Holocaust Memorial Day Event.
The screening was followed by a discussion of the film and its themes by:
- Stephen Baker, Association of Child Psychotherapists
- Ginette Vincendeau, Professor of Film Studies, Kings College London
- Martin Winstone, Holocaust Educational Trust
Ivan’s Childhood (Tarkovsky, 1962)
“Tarkovsky’s debut boasts one of the greatest openings in film history in the story of a scarred boy who knows nothing but war, existing as an army scout… [its] pure audacity and visual beauty are electrifying” The Guardian.
The film screening was followed by a panel discussion between the following academics and critics:
- Dr Jeremy Hicks, Reader in Russian Culture and Film, Queen Mary University of London
- Professor Stephen Lovell, Professor of Russian History, King’s College London
- Professor Bill Yule, Children & War Foundation, Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London
Girlhood (Sciamma, 2014)
Oppressed by her family setting, dead-end prospects and the boys’ law in the neighbourhood, Marieme starts a new life after meeting a group of three free-spirited girls. She changes her name, her style, and quits school to be accepted in the gang, hoping that this will be a way to freedom.
Followed by a panel discussion with:
- Dr. Andrea Goddard, Consultant Paediatrician and Lead in Adolescent Medicine at St. Mary’s Hospital, London
- Sandra Hebron, Head of Screen Studies at National Film and Television School, former Artistic Director of London Film Festival
- Prof Danya Glaser, Visiting Professor at UCL and honorary consultant child & adolescent psychiatrist at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children
- Dr Carlene Firmin MBE, Senior Research Fellow and Head of the Contextual Safeguarding Research Programme at the University of Bedfordshire, Founder of MsUnderstood Partnership.